By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
BolanewsBolanews
  • Home
  • Soccer News
    • Zambia
      • Super League
      • Chipolopolo
      • National First Division
    • Zimbabwe Premier League
    • Rest of Africa
      • PSL
      • TNM Super League
    • Europe
      • English Premier League
      • La Liga
      • Bundesliga
      • Serie A
      • UEFA Champions League
      • Europa League
    • Womens
  • Live Scores
  • Bet Academy
    • Betting Tips
  • Bolabet
    • Sign Up
    • Play Aviator
    • Promotions
    • Skulu Ya Betting
Reading: IOC Expand Women’s Teams for 2028 Olympic Football Tournament, FIFA Reacts
Share
Aa
Aa
BolanewsBolanews
Search
  • Home
  • Zambia
    • Super League
    • Chipolopolo
    • National First Division
  • Zimbabwe Premier League
  • Rest of Africa
    • PSL
    • TNM Super League
  • Europe
    • English Premier League
    • La Liga
    • Bundesliga
    • Serie A
    • UEFA Champions League
    • Europa League
  • Womens
  • Betting Tips
  • Bet Academy
    • S’kulu Ya Betting
    • Betting Stats Centre
    • Team Streaks
  • Bolabet
    • Sign Up
    • Play Aviator
    • Promotions
Follow US
© 2022 Bolanews
Women's Football

IOC Expand Women’s Teams for 2028 Olympic Football Tournament, FIFA Reacts

FIFA hails the IOC decision to expand women’s Olympic football and vows continued commitment to the growth of the game.

Calvin Kaumba Chikenge
Calvin Kaumba Chikenge Published April 10, 2025
Share
2 Min Read
Nice, France. 25th July, 2024. Emily Fox (USA), Football, Women's Group B between United States and Zambia during the Olympic Games Paris 2024 on 25 July 2024 at Allianz Riviera in Nice, France. (Photo by Norbert Scanella/Panoramic/DPPI Media)
Nice, France. 25th July, 2024. Emily Fox (USA), Football, Women's Group B between United States and Zambia during the Olympic Games Paris 2024 on 25 July 2024 at Allianz Riviera in Nice, France. (Photo by Norbert Scanella/Panoramic/DPPI Media)

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has approved the expansion of the women’s football tournament at the Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games, increasing the number of participating teams from 12 to 16.

This landmark decision opens the door for Africa to potentially send more than the two representatives it has fielded in previous editions. Zambia’s Copper Queens have proudly represented the continent at the last two Olympic Games.

On Wednesday, FIFA welcomed the IOC’s decision, calling it a significant milestone for the women’s game and a powerful endorsement of women’s sport.

FIFA added that the expansion reflects a shared commitment with the IOC and LA28 to elevate women’s football, highlight the strength of the women’s game in the U.S., and create more opportunities for players and nations on the global stage.

“FIFA has always believed in the power of women’s football and today’s decision by the IOC Executive Board is a positive step,” said FIFA President Gianni Infantino. “Our vision is clear: we are investing in and expanding opportunities for women’s football at every level. More teams on the Olympic stage means more role models, more inspiration and more impact.”

FIFA Vows Continued Commitment to Growth of the Game

FIFA Secretary General Mattias Grafström also said that FIFA had been working towards increasing the number of women’s teams at the Olympics for some time. He expressed gratitude to the IOC administration for their collaboration over the past months in preparing what he described as a groundbreaking decision.

FIFA has long supported expanding the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament and formally requested an increase from 12 to 16 teams ahead of Paris 2024. This aligns with its 2023–2027 strategic goal to create more opportunities for women in football. The move builds on the success of the expanded 2023 Women’s World Cup, which featured 32 teams, record-breaking engagement, and showcased emerging global talent.

READ MORE: South Africa Clubs Eye both CAF Champions League and Confederations Cup

Sponsored Ad

You Might Also Like

Nora to miss three nations tournament due to illness, FAZ confirms

“I’m not worried” – reacts Fazili after Malawi lost 2-1 to Zimbabwe

Mulenga tips FAZ to rebuild national youth teams using school tournaments

Zesco United lose 2–3 to Al Masry in another CAF Confederation Cup setback

“We’re here to learn”- reveals Mupeti as Zimbabwe takes on Malawi

Sign Up For Promotions!

Subscribe with your cellphone number and get access to exclusive content, launches, promotions and partner giveaways!

    By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
    Calvin Kaumba Chikenge April 10, 2025
    Share this Article
    Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Copy Link
    Share
    Posted by Calvin Kaumba Chikenge
    Follow:
    Calvin Kaumba Chikenge is an award-winning Zambian multimedia sports journalist well known for his exclusive stories and feature writing. He was voted 2023/24 MTN/FAZ Super League journalist of the year. In addition to reporting on sports for Spring TV, he interned for the Zambia Daily Mail newspaper. He is the current Ballon d'Or juror and has contributed to numerous international publications, including the Guardian in the UK, and is the editor of BolaNews.
    Previous Article South Africa Clubs Eye both CAF Champions League and Confederations Cup
    Next Article Mbombo: ‘Golden boot doesn’t matter for now.’

    Follow Us

    58.3k Followers Like
    4.5k Followers Follow
    1.3k Followers Follow
    Youtube Subscribe

    Latest News

    Photo credit: Napsa Stars FC media
    “We’ve a plan” – Mumbi targets victory as NAPSA Stars visit winless Nkana
    Zambian Super League November 29, 2025
    Nora to miss three nations tournament due to illness, FAZ confirms
    Copper Queens November 29, 2025
    “I’m not worried” – reacts Fazili after Malawi lost 2-1 to Zimbabwe
    Women's Football November 29, 2025
    Kelvin Kaindu
    Kaindu guides Dynamos FC to safety, praises his players
    Zimbabwe Premier Soccer League November 29, 2025
    //

    Bolanews is your best bet when it comes to soccer news. Get previews, results and predictions from the experts here.

    Sign Up For Promotions!

    Subscribe with your cellphone number and get access to exclusive content, launches, promotions and partner giveaways!

      BolanewsBolanews
      Follow US

      © 2022 Bolanews.

      Go to mobile version
      Welcome Back!

      Sign in to your account

      Lost your password?