Charles Haalubono will lead the Copper Queens at the COSAFA Women’s Senior Championship in the absence of head coach Nora Häuptle, who opted out of leading the team.
Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) General Secretary Machacha Shepande has announced that First Assistant Coach Charles Haalubono will take charge of the team in the interim.
Shepande, however, said Häuptle remains in charge of the team and has been fully involved in selecting the squad for the regional tournament.
“Nora is the head coach, and she selected the team for this year’s regional tournament. She travelled back to her home base to attend to an assignment and will join the team once she completes it,” Shepande was quoted as saying by FAZ media.
Häuptle told reporters last month that her focus is solely on WAFCON and that she would not be involved in the COSAFA tournament, but FAZ says she will link up “with the team in South Africa.”
Haalubono declares team ready
Meanwhile, Haalubono has declared the team ready for the tournament, describing it as an important competition ahead of the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON).
“This is very important for us because it is a tournament that is leading us to WAFCON, so it is big preparation for us,” Haalubono said before departure for South Africa.
He said the technical bench is urging the players to work hard and use the tournament to build momentum towards WAFCON.

And striker Kabange Mupopo said the players will do their best to retain the cup.
She said the team will treat each opponent with respect.
“I can promise that we will work hard and do our level best [to defend the title]. As for us we respect every team we are just going there to do our level best,” she said.
Zambia is in Group B alongside Botswana, Zimbabwe and eSwatini.
Their first game will be against Botswana on Thursday.
READ ALSO: Robbers Steal K181,000 Gate Takings from Mufulira Wanderers After Sold-Out Match


