After stepping down from her duties as head coach of the Copper Queens following the FIFA Series held in Brazil in April, the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) has announced that Nora Häuptle is set to return to the touchline for Zambia during the June FIFA window.
On Sunday, FAZ confirmed that all outstanding issues had been settled following meetings between FAZ president Keith Mweemba and the coach.
“As things stand at present, Coach Nora will certainly lead the Copper Queens at the forthcoming Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) tournament,” acting deputy general secretary Iva Lengwe was quoted as saying in a FAZ statement.
Häuptle is now expected to take charge of the Four Nations Tournament scheduled for the June FIFA window, which will feature Zambia, Kenya, Zimbabwe and Burkina Faso.
The Swiss trainer, who recently took up a new role in Europe as a UEFA Women’s Player Development expert, had stepped down, citing concerns over the direction of key standards within the team setup.
What happened between FAZ or Nora?
In a statement posted on LinkedIn on April 12, Häuptle said her decision followed a period of reflection after a challenging year marked by leadership changes at FAZ and the postponement of the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations, which also serves as a FIFA Women’s World Cup qualifier.
Despite the challenges, she noted that the team achieved positive results and made the country proud. However, she raised concerns that “standards in several areas are not developing in the right direction to support sustainable success.”
She pointed to the need for more high-level international matches, improved staff assessments, better use of technology, efficient travel logistics, clearer decision-making structures, consistent leadership, proper budgeting, and fair remuneration.
Häuptle also called for collective responsibility among stakeholders to prioritise players and drive meaningful change in women’s football.
In response, FAZ revealed that Häuptle requested a 50 per cent salary reduction so she could take up additional jobs while still serving as Zambia’s head coach.
FAZ spokesperson Nkweto Tembwe questioned Häuptle’s commitment, arguing that the national team role requires full dedication. He also disclosed that Häuptle asked to step down as technical advisor for junior teams.
“Coach Häuptle has formally engaged FAZ, seeking to alter the terms of her contract, seeking to change some parts of her contract, and among her requests is a proposal to reduce her salary by up to 50% to enable her to take up additional employment elsewhere while the contract with the Copper Queens is running,” Tembwe revealed. “This raises a question of commitment and professional focus.”
Additionally, FAZ said Häuptle had taken the matter to FIFA, demanding compensation and bonuses linked to future achievements, including World Cup qualification and tournament success.
READ ALSO: Kanyemba Reveals Copper Princesses’ Biggest Challenge Ahead of DR Congo Clash
